10 March 2014

Checkmate Patterns

My conviction is growing that beginning chess players should work through large numbers of chess problems where they find checkmate in one move. Such problems develop pattern recognition that facilitates the imagination during play.

Several years ago, I created a set of forty-eight checkmate in one problems from games that I found in several databases. Recently, I have been using these sets of problems with young chess players. No answer key should be necessary as verifying the solution is as easy as ABC. Can the defending king avoid the check? Can a piece step in the way and block the check? Can the checking piece be captured?

Below are the first six problems. White moves in each.







2 comments:

  1. Good post... I have just started teaching beginners and I agree 100% . The one move mates are helping them a lot. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete